Friday, October 2, 2009
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Tuscan Chickpea Soup
Garlic, rosemary, balsamic vinegar, and Parmesan cheese deliver authentic Mediterranean flavors.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water (I did not add any water)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 (15 1/2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the water and the next 5 ingredients (water through tomatoes), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
Place 2 cups soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Pour the pureed soup into a bowl. Repeat procedure with 2 cups soup. Return all pureed soup to pan. Stir in the vinegar, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Spoon 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
373 (22% from fat)
9.1g (sat 2.1g,mono 4.5g,poly 1.6g)
Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2001